Challenging yet rewarding...
Today we started our series of orientation for classes. I got up this morning and went to my IT session, which was cancelled due to technical difficulties, therefore, I decided to take advantage of the time I had and got my books, scrubs, etc. I also decided to check the lines for the "official check-in" on the island, to get my student ID card, white coat and class schedule. Thankfully the line wasn't too horrible and I was able to sneak in a bit earlier than my scheduled time slot. It's okay, I wasn't alone in my planning, there were others there with me that did the same;)
After getting through all of the bureaucratic business, I grabbed lunch at the shacks with G.P. and Dauood and ran to our mandatory orientation session. There was so much information given from 1-5 p.m. that it was incredibly overwhelming to all of the students. We all looked at each other as if saying, "Did we really sign up for this? Willingly?" haha
I didn't realize that I will not be spending a few years in Miami but instead just a semester-4 months, thereafter I will have to complete, just as any U.S. medical student, 78 weeks of rotations. Consisting of: 12 wks of surgery, 12 wks of family medicine, 12 wks of internal medicine, 6 wks of OBGYN, 6 wks of pediatrics, 6 wks of psychiatry and the other 24 elective credits of my choosing. Therefore, I will be applying to many hospitals across the country and working for a few months here and there before deciding on a spot to apply for residency, which will hopefully be in California:) I will be finished with my degree in less than 4 years, also something I didn't realize right away but it's obviously an accelerated program, seeing what we complete in the amount of time we have.
And boy, are there exams underway....My first one is in 2 weeks, so let me just say goodbye now and I will return post-exam to tell you some good news, ha ;) I have 3 "mini exams" as Ross terms them. Each one is broken up into a series of blocks which is designed based on an organ system approach to learning medicine, which becomes extremely important with the USMLE (U.S. Medical Licensing Examination-Steps 1-3 CK [clinical knowledge]). I will take Step 1 after I arrive in Miami my 5th semester and then I take Step 2 following my rotations. I believe Step 3 occurs either right before residency or afterwards, depending on your preference. The curriculum is designed to build upon previous knowledge from past exams as well as semesters. They want to make for sure you are able to integrate the information and really know it, not just memory recall. Therefore, all that I learn from the first day until my last will be applicable to not only my academic performance in terms of testing but also for my patients, which is completely logical.
Ross has an aspect of conduct called "professionalism cards," wherein students are either rewarded or reprimanded for behavior, in terms of peer/professor interaction, performance on exams, punctuality, and overall character. Obviously, students professionalism cards can range. Most people get really good reviews and it helps with recommendations and whatnot. One of the speakers told us today that next Friday (our White Coat), and even as of today, we are taking on an oath of the highest regard, thus, we should all take that seriously and be professionals of medicine in our day to day interaction as well as in the classroom.
I am eager to hit the ball rolling! I just tried on my scrubs....yes, I am just that excited! :)
After getting through all of the bureaucratic business, I grabbed lunch at the shacks with G.P. and Dauood and ran to our mandatory orientation session. There was so much information given from 1-5 p.m. that it was incredibly overwhelming to all of the students. We all looked at each other as if saying, "Did we really sign up for this? Willingly?" haha
I didn't realize that I will not be spending a few years in Miami but instead just a semester-4 months, thereafter I will have to complete, just as any U.S. medical student, 78 weeks of rotations. Consisting of: 12 wks of surgery, 12 wks of family medicine, 12 wks of internal medicine, 6 wks of OBGYN, 6 wks of pediatrics, 6 wks of psychiatry and the other 24 elective credits of my choosing. Therefore, I will be applying to many hospitals across the country and working for a few months here and there before deciding on a spot to apply for residency, which will hopefully be in California:) I will be finished with my degree in less than 4 years, also something I didn't realize right away but it's obviously an accelerated program, seeing what we complete in the amount of time we have.
And boy, are there exams underway....My first one is in 2 weeks, so let me just say goodbye now and I will return post-exam to tell you some good news, ha ;) I have 3 "mini exams" as Ross terms them. Each one is broken up into a series of blocks which is designed based on an organ system approach to learning medicine, which becomes extremely important with the USMLE (U.S. Medical Licensing Examination-Steps 1-3 CK [clinical knowledge]). I will take Step 1 after I arrive in Miami my 5th semester and then I take Step 2 following my rotations. I believe Step 3 occurs either right before residency or afterwards, depending on your preference. The curriculum is designed to build upon previous knowledge from past exams as well as semesters. They want to make for sure you are able to integrate the information and really know it, not just memory recall. Therefore, all that I learn from the first day until my last will be applicable to not only my academic performance in terms of testing but also for my patients, which is completely logical.
Ross has an aspect of conduct called "professionalism cards," wherein students are either rewarded or reprimanded for behavior, in terms of peer/professor interaction, performance on exams, punctuality, and overall character. Obviously, students professionalism cards can range. Most people get really good reviews and it helps with recommendations and whatnot. One of the speakers told us today that next Friday (our White Coat), and even as of today, we are taking on an oath of the highest regard, thus, we should all take that seriously and be professionals of medicine in our day to day interaction as well as in the classroom.
I am eager to hit the ball rolling! I just tried on my scrubs....yes, I am just that excited! :)
Comments
Post a Comment