I felt like I was on Jurassic Park

Do you remember the opening scenes in Jurassic Park where they are flying over the island? Well, that is exactly what I saw when the plane was approaching the Dominica airport. It was an incredible sight and hilarious that all of the students on the plane immediately thought of the same movie when we saw the lush green forests beneath us and the deepest blue you can imagine along the coast. To think that just 24 hrs ago I left Dallas, flew to Charlotte, NC, then to Puerto Rico for the evening (apparently I look Latina, especially since I speak Spanish? Interesting.), woke up caught my flight to Antigua and was FINALLY arriving in Dominica. This alone was quite the journey but I was in store for much more just within the next few days.

I met quite a few Ross students while waiting for my flight in Puerto Rico. It was nice that Ross staff were at each "pit stop" as I call them (yes, a reference to the "Amazing Race" ;) with bottled water, snacks and a friendly smile, assuring you that all would be okay. I was most concerned about my luggage because as most of you know, it is quite difficult for me to travel "light" especially for medical school on an island! I had 6 bags in total, yes, 6 bags. You can imagine the airlines was really happy to have me on their flights. I was concerned that my bags, once arriving to Puerto Rico, would not be able to fit on the small aircraft from Antigua to Dominica. Luckily, not only was I allowed all 6--one being a carry-on, but I was able to smooth talk my way into 2 free bags. I told the guy I was a medical student and really needed my books and supplies. The puppy dog look worked and he told me that I better not have as much leaving or it will be hard to get them off the island. In any case, I got them to Dominica, so that was a relief!

Once arriving in Dominica, about 15-20 of us met with our final "pit stop" instructor to get on the bus to Portsmouth, which is where Ross is located and our landlords were waiting for us at the Housing Department to take us to our apartments. I was warned about this "ride to Portsmouth" many times before arriving. Students all say, "be sure to take Dramamine because it is one of the curviest and bumpiest rides you'll experience." Luckily, it was not that bad at all. I feel like the curvy roads that Sil and I managed in Sequoia were far worse than what I experienced last night. The biggest fear I did have was driving off a cliff or hitting a pedestrian on the side of the road because FYI there are no street signs here or signal lights, there is a tiny unpaved road with drivers living under no rules, so you can only imagine. You should have seen the look on my face when our driver hopped in the van and didn't think twice not to put on a seat belt. I tried to find mine but to no avail there weren't any, ha!

The 50 minute ride to Ross was an interesting one for sure and I felt that we had many close calls along the way. I saw a sign for the first time and it read, "Wesley," which was pretty ironic and of course reminded me of you Tarah and Mary Alice! :) After passing through Wesley we started to get closer to campus and I knew this because of the immense amount of research I had done months before, looking up YouTube videos and other students blogs of photos and whatnot. We arrived to the housing department drained and beyond exhausted. Again, there were greeters and we got all kinds of goodies such as a new USB, rain gear, snacks, schedules for the week for excursions and interestingly enough we were allowed to make a phone call home to our parents. A really nice gesture by the University but also seemed a bit like jail, "You are allowed one phone call to your family so they know you are safe." haha Nonetheless, it was nice! My landlord came to pick me up and let me just say how adorable this man is. He is incredible sweet, mid-60's and was probably about as excited to meet me as I was to meet him. He loaded my things and said he was so surprised I was able to get everything here in one piece, of course I was happy too. He asked me where I was from and once I told him, he seemed not surprised at all that it was Texan behavior to pack so many things, "Everything is bigger in Texas, right?" Pretty funny. He assured me that my time in Dominica would be a great one and not to worry about anything. He can take me wherever I want to go and will ensure my accommodations are up to my standards. We pulled up to Glanvillia (my neighborhood) and I was so happy to see exactly what I saw in the photos. I walked into my apartment and it was perfect. A queen size bed, cable TV (I noticed today that I have CNN and other channels from home, but I'm especially happy that I will be able to see my Silver Fox on AC 360;) , linens, dishes, etc. It's really cute and cozy. I crashed last night after I put away all of my clothes and set-up my bed...

I woke up this morning to the sounds of roosters! Yes, I was indeed not in Texas anymore or at least Garland for that matter. I was so excited to see the town during the day and arranged to meet with some classmates at the KFC. Yes, they have a KFC, ridiculous, huh? We all did many errands today including purchasing a phone, so I can get random surprise phone calls from all of you;) My new Dominica # is: 1(767) 245-3792. Also purchased electricity on the pre-pay meter system they have here. It really makes you cognizant of how much electricity you are using for many day-to-day things. I also had my first meal on the island today, which was fantastic! Fried chicken with an interesting mix of pasta, rice, beans, and cabbage.

I've met so many people from California it's shocking. Students from UC Davis, Cal, Sac, and even Fresno! During our campus tour today I met a guy from Arlington! Go, Texas! He was really helpful and gave me the best insight I've received to date. I'm really starting to excited about working on a cadaver again and getting to know my professors as well as my peers. I was invited into a scholars program at Ross called PAcE weeks back, which is basically a way for students to thoroughly engage with professors and supplement the knowledge learned in the classroom to do well on examinations as well as prepare for the USMLE (U.S. Licensing Examination-Step 1-3). I was told numerous times to do it, especially by upperclassman. It will allow me to stay on track and not fall behind in my studies, which is exactly what I'm looking to do.

The campus is pretty basic but the surroundings are simply beautiful. There is a volcano in the distance and nothing but rain forest as well as mountains. If you need to take a break you can simply go to the beach, which is literally right across from the library. I was tempted to just jump in the water earlier today, it looked so inviting. The people of Dominica are not only hospitable but genuinely nice. People will smile at you walking down the street and greet you, very welcoming.

Now I'm home and again, exhausted but content at what is ahead in the next few days. Tomorrow I am going on a trip to Roseau, the capital of Dominica and will hopefully be able to buy some fresh orange juice, I am dying for some! :) There are many trips scheduled throughout the next few weeks, even whale watching and you know how I am about my whales;)

Comments